Back in January I wrote a post in which I set out some goals for myself for 2011. I promised that I’d review them every so often to keep on track of how i’m getting on, so here is the first of those tracker posts.
1. Teach Lilly to read - I have bought a set of Usborne Read at Home books and somebody in work has lent me another set of learn to read books. We haven’t made a proper start on this yet. However, Lilly is getting good at recognising the letters of the alphabet and she can spot her own name easily – even in the credits of programmes. Sometimes she will see a word starting with “Li” or ending in “lly”and she’ll say “that’s like my name!” So I just need to capitalise on this natural enthusiasm to learn I think. She has also started spotting squiggles that look like letters and numbers in her drawings and then tells me: “That looks like a 6, doesn’t it!?” And again I think it is time I started helping her with some basic writing too.
2. Book another holiday for us – We had a lovely holiday in Center Parcs at the end of March, and we’re going to France with the inlaws in a couple of months, which we’re really looking forward to. Finances are a bit tight so we’re not sure whether we’ll get abroad next year, but I think we’ll decide nearer the time. Mind you, there are some early plans for Tony’s sister to get married next year, possibly abroad, so if she goes ahead with that, that’s the decision made!
5. Be superorganised to help the transition back to work – We had just about settled into our routine of Tony on morning duty and me on afternoons / nursery pick up, when his shifts changed at work and everything had to be juggled about again! Now he works early morning into early afternoon – so the half days are out of the window, and instead I work four full days, monday to thursday. Nursery had no extra days for the girls though, so at the moment me and MIL are using leave to cover the additional Tuesdays with the girls. This will probably be until August, and in a way, it’s a real blessing as I get more summer days at home with the girls this year!
7. Keep the kitchen table clear of clutter – Not been doing too well with this one. As we speak there are piles of laundry ready to be ironed and bottles of water etc living on the table. Maybe I better go and clear them off in a minute…
8. Swim a bit more - Two weeks ago I swam twice before work. I didn’t manage it this week for one reason or another, but the intention is there and I have worked out how to fit it into my week. So now I just need to get on with it…
9. Lose weight – Probably most successful one to date… I have lost nearly 2 and a half stone since the end of January by joining Weight Watchers online. Honestly the best thing I have done in a while! I could rave about it but that’d be a whole seperate post… but I have dropped two dress sizes so far and hoping to go down one more before my holiday. Hubby joined in too, when he saw me losing weight, and he has also lost over 2 stone. Magic!
10. Use my Wii Fit more – Actually I probably use it less, as hubby is home in the evenings now so we tend to flop out and watch TV before getting an early night ahead of his 3am start! But if I keep up with the swimming, the lack of Wii-Fit won’t matter, will it?
11. Get ready to move house – This one is probably on indefinite hold! Finances just couldn’t stretch to a house move at the moment. There are some jobs we need to do around this house, but in reality I think we’ll be staying here until both girls are at school.
13. Brush up my French – French holiday coming up very soon and French still in need of a “brushing”
14. Make the most of my afternoons off – Well, it’s day/s off now. We have had some really great days out and (most) of the time we’ve managed to do more than just errands and trips to the supermarket (although that’s exactly what we did yesterday, hehe!)
15. Spend more time with hubby (alone!) – We haven’t done too well. No trip away for our anniversary of meeting. But we did have a really amazing night out in Liverpool in, erm, January, and treated ourselves to a stay in the Malmaison. And we have booked it again for our wedding anniversary in July. But a definite ‘could do better’ on this one…
16. Use my new camera and learn something about photography – I am using it, but I don’t know if I’m getting better. The photography book remains unread… maybe on holiday…
17. Cook lots with Lilly – Hmmm, no, need to do better… problem is, being on Weight Watchers, we’re obviously eating a lot less cake! But I wanted to get Lilly more involved in general cooking, and I still need to make more of an effort here.
19. Go on more family days out – and blog about them. Go back to our favourite places and discover new ones. Make the most of our weekends – Yep, I think we’re doing well, no complaints!
20. Weaning Isla – She has come on well with her eating now, it was a slow start but we now have successful toast and sandwich eating, and she is better all the time with lumps. She still does the occasional terrifying gagging thing that scares me to death, but it is much less frequent now.
21. Help nurture a good relationship between my girls – Not sure how much credit I can take but I am very happy to say that, at the momement, the girls have a really lovely relationship and genuinely seem to adore each other. Everytime they’re laughing at each other, or kissing and hugging each other it makes everything worth it!
22. Keep our family photo albums up to date – Move along now, nothing to see here…
23. Be a better blogger - Actually I’ve found it difficult to be even just as good a blogger as I was last year. There just aren’t the hours in the day / week for all the things I’d like to do. But essentially I’m writing this blog as a record for my children and us in the future. So I am trying to make sure I record all the really lovely things we do, the important milestones and funny things, the development of the girls. If I get any spare time I’ll think about all the other things I’d like to add too. Still need to remember to date my blog posts!
24. Revisit my goals regularly to see how I’m doing – Well, this is the first time i’ve done it, so not exactly monthly! But its the thought that counts…