I don’t suppose Lilly is alone among toddlers in having a slightly obsessive nature!
These obsessions tend to be with TV programmes, books or characters, and they last for months on end before being suddenly and unceremoniously dumped in favour of another obsession!
So far her obsessions have been as follows:
1. Peppa Pig – from the age of about 8 months until about 2 and a half. She has watched them so many times and, like many toddlers, this programme seemed to have a hypnotic effect on her. Many’s the time we turned to Peppa to help us through a stressful day…
2. Thomas The Tank Engine – At around her second birthday, a Thomas had to come with us, wherever we went. Preferably two Thomases. I had to talk her out of sharing her bed with a Thomas, because she would inevitably end up waking up crying because she was lying on one.
3. Roary The Racing Car – Toy Roary replaced Thomas in Lilly’s heart, and he HAD to come everywhere. Because he wasn’t allowed in bed, he had to sit on the bedside table and wait everynight…
4. Humf – Took over from Peppa in the hypnotic stakes. Was a lovely part of the bedtime routine for about 8 months, but he doesn’t seem to be as popular with L now.
5. Same Smile (CBeebies)- Nisha and her pandas… the first programme Lilly liked because there were other children just like her on it. She has watched every episode SO many times. The only reason the obsession has died down a little lately is because there are only so many episodes and only so many times even a toddler can watch them!
6. Handbag – Her handbag has to go everywhere with her at the moment, containing all Lilly’s most important posessions (and usually other people’s important posessions, like Nanna and Grandad’s house keys…)
7. Maisy Goes to Hospital - Bedtime story. Thankfully a nice short one, Lilly cannot get enough of it and knows all the words!
I’m sure there will be many more to come…